Ponies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind

+20
Andal
Johuotar
tagg
acidbomb113
Nighzmarquls
Fniff
Emberflash
Loud Whispers
Debesh
Necro910
drilltooth
Armok
MC Dirty
Dsarker
Zaerosz
Kaijyuu
Flying Dice
Sean Mirrsen
Zangi
Slag
24 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 Empty Re: Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind

Post  Sean Mirrsen Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:04 am

And once again we have proof that the writers just don't care anymore.
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Pony Pals : 5206
Friendship Lessons : -7

Back to top Go down

Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 Empty Re: Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind

Post  MC Dirty Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:01 pm

Sean Mirrsen wrote:And once again we have proof that the writers just don't care anymore.
Really? Just because of some anatomical impossibilites? If you want to be that nitpicky, you might as well decry every single episode because the way they move their forelegs rarely corresponds with any probable bone and joint structure.
MC Dirty
MC Dirty
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Pony Pals : 5267
Friendship Lessons : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaijyuu Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:10 pm

TBH thought it kinda creative. So long as they don't turn into hands for writing or something ridiculous like that.

They've held stuff under their wings before. See: the bell in winter wrap up.

Also as for anatomical impossibilities, ahem, wings at all? Wings are limbs, and wings on the back are pretty ridiculous on any mammal. You can't just have some bones protruding from the shoulder blades like that.
Kaijyuu
Kaijyuu
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Pals : 6186
Friendship Lessons : 7

Pony Profile
Name: Kaijyuu
Spells:
Experience:
Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 Left_bar_bleue6/9Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 Empty_bar_bleue  (6/9)

Back to top Go down

Post  Necro910 Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:44 pm

Kaijyuu wrote:TBH thought it kinda creative. So long as they don't turn into hands for writing or something ridiculous like that.

They've held stuff under their wings before. See: the bell in winter wrap up.

Also as for anatomical impossibilities, ahem, wings at all? Wings are limbs, and wings on the back are pretty ridiculous on any mammal. You can't just have some bones protruding from the shoulder blades like that.
This^

The wings on the back have always baffled me. How are the wing joints not jamming themselves into the pony's ribage? Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 1633500279
Necro910
Necro910
Celestial Companion
Celestial Companion

Pony Pals : 10963
Friendship Lessons : 11

Pony Profile
Name: Necro
Spells:
Experience:
Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 Left_bar_bleue9/0Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 Empty_bar_bleue  (9/0)

Back to top Go down

Post  Slag Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:03 pm

The pegasi likely have what effectively amounts to four shoulders, two mammalian shoulders for the forelegs and two pseudo-avian shoulders for the wings.
Slag
Slag
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Pals : 6681
Friendship Lessons : 8

Pony Profile
Name: Cherry Pop
Spells:
Experience:
Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 Left_bar_bleue69/99Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 Empty_bar_bleue  (69/99)

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Dice Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:49 pm

Slag wrote:The pegasi likely have what effectively amounts to four shoulders, two mammalian shoulders for the forelegs and two pseudo-avian shoulders for the wings.

This. And yeah, getting upset about issues with [x] because they happened in the second season is a tad silly when similar things happened in the first season. Not a great episode, but not nearly as bad as Lesson Zero.
Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Pony Pals : 6861
Friendship Lessons : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Necro910 Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:57 pm

Yeah, a lot of the complaints I've been hearing with season 2 were still in season 1. I've been chuckling to myself for a while Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 1168326152
Necro910
Necro910
Celestial Companion
Celestial Companion

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:
Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 Left_bar_bleue9/0Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 Empty_bar_bleue  (9/0)

Back to top Go down

Post  Johuotar Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:16 pm

I might be garroted for this but aside from the characterisation problems Lesson Zero was pretty funny episode, I mean I watched it three times in a row and all. Half of that was because of the all the !!wtf!! but I still enjoyed it.

And it did gave us these:
Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 172304066 Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 3175575447 Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 1216557912
Johuotar
Johuotar
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Pony Pals : 5449
Friendship Lessons : -5

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaijyuu Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:39 pm

I figured out why I don't like Lesson Zero a while ago, along with how to fix it.

It was a funny episode. That's fine and dandy. The jokes worked. What didn't work was keeping suspension of disbelief. I literally stopped caring halfway through, as I was no longer watching a show, but some dancing lights with noise coming out of my speakers.

Problem: Twilight's behavior just wasn't justified. Sure, she's been OCD in the past, but about more serious things and to a lesser degree. Whole episode was an out of character moment, and it jolted me back to reality, hard.
To fix: Incorporate the moral. You know, what the episode is ostensibly about? Have each pony brush her off as she visits them, rather than later at the picnic. Her initial OCD was in character; being frustrated with friends would believably magnify it into the resulting breakdown.
Kaijyuu
Kaijyuu
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Pals : 6186

Pony Profile
Name: Kaijyuu
Spells:
Experience:
Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 Left_bar_bleue6/9Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 Empty_bar_bleue  (6/9)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:03 pm

There are handwaveable things, and non-handwaveable things. Feather-fingers are such an old and cheap way of humanizing avians that I've long thrown it into the non-handwaveable pile. There are a multitude of reasons why they should not physically work under any sane circumstances, and quite a few reasons why they should not work even when magic is taken into account here. Prehensile tails are one thing - they are at least handwaveable as a sort of innate magic, as the tails themselves are anything but rigid. Wings having bendy grasping feathers, though? That throws just about all sense of internal consistency and common sense out the window.

Season 1, as well as I can remember it (I watched it through twice in the span of four days, back when I found the show... I had fifteen metric craptons of free time on the dacha, and oodles of internet access. I still rewatch it from time to time.), had at least a sense of internal consistency. It did a pretty good job of establishing things that were and were not supposed to happen in the universe, in many ways it established the whole setting, which managed to continue making sense throughout the whole 28-episode season (and yes, I see Return of Harmony as the finale of the first season, not pilot of the second, at the very least because it still uses the S1 opening). Come season 2. We are treated to increasingly bizarre occurrences that seem to exist on the whim of the current writer and disappear without a trace, leaving behind an incredibly confuzzled universe, and an incredibly annoyed me.
Spoiler:
It's like early comic book Superman and his world-famous powers like super-ventriloquism, super-landscaping and super-weaving. It took a momentous Cosmic Retcon to finally put the DC-verse into a semblance of a consistent state (and reboots are still happening here and there), and if the current trend in FiM episodes continues, it'll take nothing short of that to fix it as well. I still have a very faint hope they'll manage to make something epic for the season finale that'll somehow alleviate all of this, but quite frankly, I don't see it happening at this rate. Princess Cadence, a new alicorn out of nowhere, when she shouldn't have been one by the continuity creator's design? Yeah, I don't think we'll get much out of it. Or at least I won't. Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 1342835135

And in general, I agree. Even Lesson Zero, which wasn't very high on my "liked" list, and even the latest two episodes that I think are the beginning of the end for FiM as it used to be, are rather funny. Nay, they are quite hilarious in their own way, the jokes and gags and meme-worthy quips and expressions were all very good. But I do not watch Friendship is Magic just to laugh. I have way better, and way deeper things for that. Laughter is but one of the elements, after all. Generosity and Loyalty I'd say are still there too, and even though shaken by recent events, Honesty and Kindness still hold. But Magic, the most important one, is fading. Right now FiM is beginning to feel like a run-of-the-mill cartoon. Not one for just kids, thankfully, it's not quite that far gone, but something is going wrong with it nevertheless, and I am far from sure it can still recover.

[/pessimist]
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Zangi Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:23 pm

They need more psuedo-DnD-esque episodes like the Season 1 Opener and the one with the Diamond Dogs.
Zangi
Zangi
Second-Class Citizen Pegasus
Second-Class Citizen Pegasus

Pony Pals : 5621

Pony Profile
Name: Sandy
Spells:
Experience:
Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 Left_bar_bleue1/1Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

Back to top Go down

Post  Slag Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:36 pm

Anyway, you put up a good point, I guess. The show isn't quite as good as Season 1. But it's not like its completely gone to shit. Sure, the stories aren't as good, the emotions a little less real, but they're still higher quality than your average show. They know that some of the important elements are missing, and they're trying to throw in a couple things to fill in while they try to get their act back together, like references and jokes. They've been slowly getting better, and even if this particular episode was a step in the wrong direction, sometimes you have to make a few mistakes before you get it right.

Last edited by Slag on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Screw my personal problems, this is argue that the show doesn't suck time.)
Slag
Slag
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:
Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 Left_bar_bleue69/99Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 Empty_bar_bleue  (69/99)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:52 pm

Zangi wrote:They need more psuedo-DnD-esque episodes like the Season 1 Opener and the one with the Diamond Dogs.
And Dragonshy, and Stare Master, and Swarm of the Century, and even Bridle Gossip, to some extent. In a way, Winter Wrap-Up qualifies too, and even the otherwise not-too-brilliant Over a Barrel. All of those are episodes with some sort of internal adventure arc. Less milling around contemplating their collective navels, more going out and doing something interesting. To my memory of episodes of this kind in Season 2 we've had... The Last Roundup, in a way, Heart's Warming Eve and (sort of) Read it and Weep by proxy (as in, the adventure does not actually happen, it's just described), and maaaaaybe Secret of my Excess. One sort-of-adventure, one disaster aversion, one theater play, and one shout-out book. My judgement on the season in this particular regard is still open, because we still have It's About Time, Dragon Quest, and Hurricane Fluttershy as possible mini-adventure arcs, so we'll see how that goes. It'll take some doing to screw up a Twilight episode about time travel, or an episode named Dragon Quest, but we've already seen that these people are quite capable of outstanding feats when we least expect it.

Anyway, don't let me and my pessimism get to you. I'm always like this, openly expect the worst, secretly hope for the best. Just keep a happy front up and take the bad things in stride, let nothing get you down.

This is Sean Mirrsen, reminding you to turn your frown upside down! Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 3916866072

*audience laughs* Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 2594385000 Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 191907979 Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 827707905 Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 3249175268 Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 2098691021

Yeah, and while you're at it - flip your buttcrack side-ways! Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 983518067

Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 1584427224
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Johuotar Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Was the wing finger thing really that bad? It didn't seem much fingery to me. Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 1671754595
Mayby I'll have to watch it again, but it seemed that it was preetty far from any precision fingering.

Gaah, I just cant find the damn words to describe what I think. Incredibly frustrating. Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 1342835135
Johuotar
Johuotar
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Slag Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:08 pm

Precision fingering? Sounds fun. Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 2372617550
Slag
Slag
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:10 pm

Slag wrote:Precision fingering? Sounds fun. Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 2372617550
A few more good ideas like that, and you'll actually be able to make a proper sequel to the The Spellbook. Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 3896392930
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  MC Dirty Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:18 pm

Sean Mirrsen wrote:
Slag wrote:Precision fingering? Sounds fun. Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 2372617550
A few more good ideas like that, and you'll actually be able to make a proper sequel to the The Spellbook. Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 3896392930
Precision fingering with wings? I'll add that to the list... Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 2041042777

BTW, I just had the typo "wingering" and I think that's a good word. Or at least it would be if there was ever any time or place when it would be appropriate. Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 3998908174
MC Dirty
MC Dirty
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Pony Pals : 5267
Friendship Lessons : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Johuotar Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:26 pm

Oh god no please. This is what happens when you don't understand what the langue youre using. Why dind't I think of all possible meanings before posting.

Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 1324820324
Fail english forever^^
Johuotar
Johuotar
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:30 pm

Long-range tactical precision fingering? Something like the finger-longer, but GPS-guided and rocket-propelled. And, if you really feel like it, heat-seeking.

And I shall likewise add "wingering" to my vocabulary. Right alongside the "wingboner", waiting for a chance to be used in casual conversation. Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 2372617550
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Necro910 Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:35 pm

Sean Mirrsen wrote:Long-range tactical precision fingering? Something like the finger-longer, but GPS-guided and rocket-propelled. And, if you really feel like it, heat-seeking.

And I shall likewise add "wingering" to my vocabulary. Right alongside the "wingboner", waiting for a chance to be used in casual conversation. Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 2372617550
Heat-Seeking precision fingering.

Why I hate and love the internet.
Necro910
Necro910
Celestial Companion
Celestial Companion

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post  Slag Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:38 pm

I wonder how a wing would actually feel. I don't think it would really be much of a pleasant experience, honestly... Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 1470840790    Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 1342835135 Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 3483585663
Slag
Slag
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:56 pm

Slag wrote:I wonder how a wing would actually feel. I don't think it would really be much of a pleasant experience, honestly... Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 1470840790    Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 1342835135 Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 3483585663
Well, you could always try... I mean, why wonder?

And speaking purely hypothetically, it probably depends on how well you react to tickling.

Hm, tickling. If wingering amounts to very specifically aimed tickling, it is technically nonoffensive and, in context of ponies as depicted on the show, kids-friendly.

Can somebody tell me where to buy a "Mind Control Over The Phone 101" handbook? I want to call a few canadians.
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Slag Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:01 pm

Most people tend to react very poorly when you try to tickle them down there. The only people who probably wouldn't are children, and well... yeah. Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 1010948761
Slag
Slag
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Dice Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:24 pm

OTOH, tickling is not too distant from other motions.

Anyhow: Remember that season 2 was written in a fairly short span of time. I've said it before: give the team time to get used to writing without Lauren Faust or certain others actively involved in everything; season 2 has a couple fairly different sets of fingerprints on it, and I hope that the team gets the message from the part of the community that isn't only in it for the memes.
Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Pony Pals : 6861
Friendship Lessons : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Loud Whispers Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:57 pm

ohgodwhatisthisthread
Loud Whispers
Loud Whispers
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Pony Pals : 5600
Friendship Lessons : 3

Pony Profile
Name: VIDEO NON OMNES
Spells:
Experience:
Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 Left_bar_bleue1337/42Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind - Page 11 Empty_bar_bleue  (1337/42)

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=54290

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next