Ponies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sincere recommendations thread.

4 posters

Go down

Sincere recommendations thread. Empty Sincere recommendations thread.

Post  tagg Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:37 am

Recommend a thing! There is one condition: if you recommend something, you must, if possible, sincerely try all other recommendations made, and all future recommended things. Anything that costs money or takes more than a couple hours at most to have been sampled falls outside of the rule. You can talk about things that have been recommended all you want, without entering the covenant, and once you have made one recommendation, can recommend other things all you want.
Not a rule, but part of the social contract: Take this seriously, only recommend something if it is really awesome, you will be subjecting others to it.

Basic format for posts should include what you would consider an amount of content necessary for a "good try," a link if the recommendation is net-based, and a description, and, perhaps, conditions under which it would be fair for someone to not try the recommendation.

I guess I'll start: Idle thumbs. A podcast about video games. Content is much less about the "monster of the week" and more about really intelligent observations about design and themes and really... smart stuff. Has ended up being much more timeless because of that. Thing is, the podcast ended up being anything but dry and boring, the cast is really, really, funny, and many of the more interesting observations are based on calling out some of the stupid things that make games weird and dumb. If it doesn't grab you after a couple episodes then it might not be your thing, but it does improve after a while as the hosts get more comfortable with what they're doing. Don't keep going if you hate the first one but the first five episodes are more then enough to satisfy the conditions for those who are kinda meh on it.

Last edited by tagg on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Let's make things a bit more reasonable shall we.)
tagg
tagg
Second-Class Citizen Pegasus

Pony Pals : 4934
Friendship Lessons : 0

Back to top Go down

Sincere recommendations thread. Empty Re: Sincere recommendations thread.

Post  Flying Dice Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:43 pm

I'd like to give this some love, but I have this thing about not listening to podcasts. Maybe at some point in the future.
Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Pony Pals : 6853
Friendship Lessons : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  MC Dirty Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:20 am

tagg wrote:If you recommend something, you must, if possible, sincerely try all other recommendations made.
That's a pretty harsh rule, you know. I mean, I have a few books I would recommend, but not everyone is willing to buy something just to post a recommendation here. I get the feeling you didn't quite think this through...

On topic!
Façade - An Interactive Story
You are visiting your friends Grace and Trip, wife and husband for a number of years I forgot. Even before you enter, you hear them arguing. At first, they put on a façade of being happily married, but it soon becomes clear that not all is well.
You mainly interact with them through typing. The game is really good at deducing what you mean and you can pretty much talk with them as if they were real people. No two playthroughs are the same and you'll often learn something new about the characters.
I can't guarantee that you'll like it, but I can guarantee that it's a unique experience.
MC Dirty
MC Dirty
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Pony Pals : 5259

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Dice Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:23 am

Yeah, I'd be more willing to participate without that "you MUST try everything" clause. I don't have the money or time to try everything I want to, much less everything that is recommended to me.
Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post  tagg Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:36 am

MC Dirty wrote:
tagg wrote:If you recommend something, you must, if possible, sincerely try all other recommendations made.
That's a pretty harsh rule, you know. I mean, I have a few books I would recommend, but not everyone is willing to buy something just to post a recommendation here.
Important bit in bold, I'd consider needing the extra cash for rent or even other diversions you're already invested in as putting someone within the clause. I get the feeling I should tone down the language a bit in the OP. Sincere recommendations thread. 1342835135

MC Dirty wrote:I get the feeling you didn't quite think this through...
Welllllllllll... Yeah. I guess not. Sincere recommendations thread. 1145029963 I'm still pretty sure it's a good idea at heart. No reason not to adjust the crap out of it.
tagg
tagg

Back to top Go down

Post  MC Dirty Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:47 am

tagg wrote:
MC Dirty wrote:
That's a pretty harsh rule, you know. I mean, I have a few books I would recommend, but not everyone is willing to buy something just to post a recommendation here.
Important bit in bold, I'd consider needing the extra cash for rent or even other diversions you're already invested in as putting someone within the clause.
I actually thought of that, but I'd say that it's still technically possible, thus does not fall under the clause.
So, does that mean that we are not allowed to recommend stuff that costs money or does that mean that we can recommend it, but are not obligated to try it?

tagg wrote:I get the feeling I should tone down the language a bit in the OP.
Yeah, you should, it sounds really harsh at the moment. Almost like you're contractually forcing us to try out the recommendations.
Edit: Well, look at that, you actually use the term "contract" in the OP. Seriously? Sincere recommendations thread. 3223827841
MC Dirty
MC Dirty
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaijyuu Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:53 am

I'm fine with the requirement, actually, but yeah it does keep me from actually posting anything. It's a fine idea I think, just not one I'd participate in.

Also you should force people to sign the contract in blood, after swearing on a bible.
Kaijyuu
Kaijyuu
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Pals : 6178
Friendship Lessons : 7

Pony Profile
Name: Kaijyuu
Spells:
Experience:
Sincere recommendations thread. Left_bar_bleue6/9Sincere recommendations thread. Empty_bar_bleue  (6/9)

Back to top Go down

Post  MC Dirty Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:04 am

Kaijyuu wrote:Also you should force people to sign the contract in blood, after swearing on a bible.
No, screw that, I'm not swearing on the fucking bible. I am fine with the "signing in blood" thing, though.
I think any legally binding oath in America includes some reference to a God? I'm not sure, but I know it's not like that in Germany and I'm grateful for that.
MC Dirty
MC Dirty
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  tagg Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:36 am

MC Dirty wrote:Edit: Well, look at that, you actually use the term "contract" in the OP. Seriously? Sincere recommendations thread. 3223827841
Not that seriously. It's based on the honour system folks. Laughing It would seem I'm still not great at conveying intent or tone exclusively through text. Should have inserted some winking emoticons or something.
The idea is that you agree that by sharing something you think is good and that you want people to try,that you'll be willing to try things that other people think are good, even if it falls a bit outside what you'd normally do.
tagg
tagg

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Dice Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:48 am

MC Dirty wrote:
Kaijyuu wrote:Also you should force people to sign the contract in blood, after swearing on a bible.
No, screw that, I'm not swearing on the fucking bible. I am fine with the "signing in blood" thing, though.
I think any legally binding oath in America includes some reference to a God? I'm not sure, but I know it's not like that in Germany and I'm grateful for that.

Not quite. People who testify in court are sworn in with their hand on a bible (though that may have changed in recent years), but all legal oaths have been changed so that an individual can either swear (possible religious undertone) or affirm (none) that they will hold to it.

But yeah, I'll think about something to recommend, and I'll try to make it something that can be read/watched/played for free.
Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down