Ponies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread.

+17
Kirbypowered
Nighzmarquls
Johuotar
Kaijyuu
tagg
drilltooth
Zaerosz
Necro910
Armok
Debesh
Slag
Emberflash
Flying Dice
MC Dirty
The Master
Dsarker
Sean Mirrsen
21 posters

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. Empty Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread.

Post  Sean Mirrsen Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:14 pm

Greetings, everyone.

In this here thread I'll be posting random pieces of pony-related art I might be compelled to make at any point in time.

I mostly do sketches, and leave about 90% of them unfinished or unpresentable, so if you're looking for some kind of fine art... well, it might happen. Smile But your best bet would be looking elsewhere.

So far, these are the most complete generic pony pics I have:

Applejack in diving gear:
Pony Kamina (I still want to see that crossover):

And the following is a collection of random and incomplete stuff I've drawn:
Spoiler:
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Pony Pals : 5206
Friendship Lessons : -7

Back to top Go down

Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. Empty Re: Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread.

Post  Dsarker Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:10 pm

Rainbow Dash there looks like a model for the good old Rainbow Slash.
Dsarker
Dsarker
BANNED

Pony Pals : 5527
Friendship Lessons : -9

Pony Profile
Name: Dsarker
Spells:
Experience:
Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. Left_bar_bleue99999/100000Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. Empty_bar_bleue  (99999/100000)

https://mylittleponyforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. Empty Re: Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread.

Post  Sean Mirrsen Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:38 pm

Hence why I never bothered to "finish" it. Wink
There's a revised take on the same pose over in my thread on the Everfree side.

edit: well, the Goblin's Friend side at any rate. I still think it should be stuck into the Everfree.
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:11 pm

Forgot this lil' pony, probably Skyrim inspired:

Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. Randompony1
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  The Master Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:46 pm

Is that a grenade for a handle? Shocked
The Master
The Master
Subforum Moderator
Subforum Moderator

Pony Pals : 4577
Friendship Lessons : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:58 pm

Heh. No, that's a mouthguard.

I'm more worried that she (assuming it's a she) will cut open her neck if she tries to swing the thing. I really didn't give the design much thought there. Razz
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:46 pm

So as not to clutter Dsarker's thread with it, development of this picture will continue here.

Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. JurassicPony_FenceScene02
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  MC Dirty Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:52 pm

Going through the third thread, collecting all art and stories I find. Only on page 9 of 92 and I've already found two more of your pictures.
Spoiler:
There's also the sketch version of Rainbow Slash, but I forgot the page and can't be assed to upload it right now.
MC Dirty
MC Dirty
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Pony Pals : 5267

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:58 pm

Rainbow Slash technically counts as Goblin's Friend material, but whatever.

I believe this one we've also missed. Anyone who wants it, may take it as an avatar.

Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. RainbowSlashAv
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:28 pm

I keep getting randomly sidetracked to do odd things.

Here, for instance, Twilight Sparkle in a labcoat, for TBP's Abducted by Ponies.

Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. TwiLabCoat03

I really should practice stuff like this more.
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Dice Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:02 pm

Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. 2467623661

My word, that is amazing!
Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Pony Pals : 6861
Friendship Lessons : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Emberflash Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:49 am

Every time that I see your art, I lament that I cannot do it. Because holy hell, are you talented. Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. 164008139
Emberflash
Emberflash
Oppressed Proletarian Earth Pony

Pony Pals : 4708

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:29 am

Emberflash wrote:Every time that I see your art, I lament that I cannot do it. Because holy hell, are you talented. Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. 164008139
I do the same thing every time I look through EqD's drawfriend compilations. Well, most of 'em anyway.
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Slag Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:55 pm

I still think you could submit a pic and expect it up on them. Your art's just as good once you're done cleaning it up and coloring it in.
Slag
Slag
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Pals : 6681
Friendship Lessons : 8

Pony Profile
Name: Cherry Pop
Spells:
Experience:
Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. Left_bar_bleue69/99Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. Empty_bar_bleue  (69/99)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:39 pm

Key words being "once you're done". I'm never "done" with my works. Barring a few things that are too simple to improve, I can't really remember any work of mine I consider actually "complete". I mostly just stop at "good enough", because I end up concentrating on some ridiculously minor detail and abandon the whole thing because of becoming frustrated with it. Like that Jurassic Park image up there. I want to add Applebloom in as Lex, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make her expression match the one in the movie. I've tried fiddling with it for a few hours, and in the end switched gears and drew that there Twilight instead. (thanks for providing me with a redirect btw, I would've lost my drive for the day otherwise)

I might spend some more time on Diverjack, fix the outlines and shading some more... get a freaking reference on how lighting works underwater, while I'm at it.
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Slag Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:48 pm

You sound like me, only since I draw with pencil and paper I end up ruining the picture by erasing too much. I usually end up ditching it at that point.
Slag
Slag
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:
Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. Left_bar_bleue69/99Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. Empty_bar_bleue  (69/99)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:02 pm

I used to do that when drawing P&P too. Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. 4009717067

At least I got to redo some of those once I got a tablet.
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:57 pm

Speaking of P&P. Warning, sort-of-spoiler for last episode.

Spoiler:

I was REALLY bored today, and had no laptop with me again.
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Slag Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:02 pm

Puntgun? More like heavy artillery.

And leave it to Pinkie to have a propeller helmet.
Slag
Slag
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:57 pm

Been a while since I posted anything, wasn't it? I'm beginning to become worried for my drawing aptitude a little myself.

To shake things up a bit, I found an excuse to start drawing something again - namely, I "upgraded" the Corel Painter 11 I've had to Corel Painter 12, to see if it's improved in any meaningful way. The guinea pig for the experiment was Twilight.

Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. Untitled-1%20%282%29

Unfortunately, not much to look at, and I didn't color her. Painter is very stiff in the interface department, Photoshop is much better in that regard, and I could easily switch back and forth between the pony color palette and the image there - not so in Painter. Also, it's hard to find good coloring tools in Painter - unless you really want to "paint" rather than digitally draw, it's not very useful. In other words, this experiment is over, I'm sticking with Photoshop, except if I really want to make a "pencilly" sketch.
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Slag Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:39 pm

Well, the good news is you can still draw at least. And now you know what software works.
Slag
Slag
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post  Debesh Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:41 pm

Hope you didn't have to shell out any money for your lesser program there :p
From what I understand, Photoshop is the god of all other 2D editing software.
Debesh
Debesh

Pony Pals : 4779
Friendship Lessons : 12

Pony Profile
Name: Debesh Unnos
Spells:
Experience:
Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. Left_bar_bleue11/15Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. Empty_bar_bleue  (11/15)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Well, if there's anything I like Painter for, it's sketching. As long as you don't need to mess around with lots of different tools, layers, or colors, it's actually pretty decent. There's lots of little stuff that helps, like saner navigator placement, canvas rotation and zoom controls on said navigator, underlying paper texture, brushes that allow dynamics for EVERYTHING and with more precision, plus a whole slew of other things. But as soon as you want to try any conventional digital drawing methods, it turns into a cludge.

It's obviously geared towards more professional artists than I am. Maybe if I were to take up paints or something, it'd be a lot easier, but I haven't used paints since... fifth or sixth grade, IIRC.

Anyway, another sketch to keep myself rollin':

Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. Img1

I no longer consider Rainbow Slash a spoiler. Besides, it's only a spoiler if you mention what it's a spoiler for - and unless that thing gets off the ground at all, it'll be moot anyway.

In the meantime, anyone got any pointers on conveying motion? I'm slowly moving from making believably structured static characters to believable dynamic poses. In this scene, even I'm not sure what's happening anymore - but it was originally intended as one character barely dodging the other's attack by falling to the ground. Even I can see it doesn't quite look like that. At most, it looks like RS pulled a "slash into hello" on a sleeping/resting pony, startling her. Advice?
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Dsarker Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:29 pm

Oh, it's clear what happened. She's interrogating Frieden, the poor dear.
Dsarker
Dsarker
BANNED

Pony Pals : 5527
Friendship Lessons : -9

Pony Profile
Name: Dsarker
Spells:
Experience:
Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. Left_bar_bleue99999/100000Sean Mirrsen's generic pony art thread. Empty_bar_bleue  (99999/100000)

https://mylittleponyforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:33 pm

I've been meaning to ask you and FD, btw - how the hell do you do randomized avatars? I know it has something to do with PHP scripts, but how, exactly? You need personal hosting space for it or something?

(also, it's causing the forum's built-in resizing script to bug out and display them full-sized - your Scratch avatar, and FD's original caped NMM avatar, specifically.)
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next