Ponies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

+25
tagg
acidbomb113
Jacob/Lee
Loud Whispers
roboboy33
RexMundi
Emberflash
Johuotar
drilltooth
Fniff
Necro910
MC Dirty
Kirbypowered
BowlSoldier
Armok
Rozy
Debesh
Slag
Dsarker
Zangi
The Master
Zaerosz
Kaijyuu
Sean Mirrsen
Flying Dice
29 posters

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 38 Empty Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Post  Kaijyuu Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:05 am

I dunno. It's somewhat creepier with the eyes.

Hell that scene was terrifying.

Also, re: Spitfire not joining.

It didn't really strike me as any sort of crisis, especially when Spitfire was pointing at her watch impatiently. They probably could've gotten their water elsewhere, closer to cloudsdale where it was easier. Heck they might have a Cloudsdale Weather Team responsible for doing just that, if the local teams can't do it for whatever reason.
Kaijyuu
Kaijyuu
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Pals : 6186
Friendship Lessons : 7

Pony Profile
Name: Kaijyuu
Spells:
Experience:
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 38 Left_bar_bleue6/9My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 38 Empty_bar_bleue  (6/9)

Back to top Go down

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 38 Empty Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Post  Flying Dice Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:09 am

It was more that it was explicitly mentioned that another failed attempt might result in injuries, RD decided to try again despite clearly not having enough power in the participants, and Spitfire decided essentially "Meh, I'll watch instead of doing absolutely anything else" (telling RD they'll get the water elsewhere, joining in, etc.).
Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Pony Pals : 6861
Friendship Lessons : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Necro910 Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:13 am

Kaijyuu wrote:I dunno. It's somewhat creepier with the eyes.

Hell that scene was terrifying.
That was probably a pretty good visual representation of what they feel.
Kaijyuu wrote:It didn't really strike me as any sort of crisis, especially when Spitfire was pointing at her watch impatiently. They probably could've gotten their water elsewhere, closer to cloudsdale where it was easier. Heck they might have a Cloudsdale Weather Team responsible for doing just that, if the local teams can't do it for whatever reason.
They need their water for the rainbow factory My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 38 3896392930
Necro910
Necro910
Celestial Companion
Celestial Companion

Pony Pals : 10963
Friendship Lessons : 11

Pony Profile
Name: Necro
Spells:
Experience:
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 38 Left_bar_bleue9/0My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 38 Empty_bar_bleue  (9/0)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaijyuu Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:24 am

Flying Dice wrote:It was more that it was explicitly mentioned that another failed attempt might result in injuries, RD decided to try again despite clearly not having enough power in the participants, and Spitfire decided essentially "Meh, I'll watch instead of doing absolutely anything else" (telling RD they'll get the water elsewhere, joining in, etc.).
Name a game where the referee hops in and helps the players with their goal.

This is, mostly, a game. It serves a useful purpose but still.
Kaijyuu
Kaijyuu
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 38 Left_bar_bleue6/9My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 38 Empty_bar_bleue  (6/9)

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Dice Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:54 am

Kaijyuu wrote:
Flying Dice wrote:It was more that it was explicitly mentioned that another failed attempt might result in injuries, RD decided to try again despite clearly not having enough power in the participants, and Spitfire decided essentially "Meh, I'll watch instead of doing absolutely anything else" (telling RD they'll get the water elsewhere, joining in, etc.).
Name a game where the referee hops in and helps the players with their goal.

This is, mostly, a game. It serves a useful purpose but still.

It is hardly a game. It is a job which is rotated through different regions, and which happens to have records kept for it. Factories record production levels, does that make a Ford assembly line a sports team? Is the World Fair a sport, with score kept by counting attendance numbers? Is the crew of a fishing boat a sports team?

On a related note:

Someone is trying to swim the English Channel and set a new time record. The only other people with them are the people verifying and recording the attempt. The person runs out of energy, panics, and starts drowning. Should the recorders help them?

A team of rowers is trying to set a new record for crossing the Atlantic. Two days in, they lose their fresh water supply. Should observers give them more?

Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post  Necro910 Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:16 am

Flying Dice wrote:Factories record production levels, does that make a Ford assembly line a sports team?
Nope.

Flying Dice wrote:Is the World Fair a sport, with score kept by counting attendance numbers?
Nope.

Flying Dice wrote:Is the crew of a fishing boat a sports team?
Actually, fishing is a sport. So yes.
Necro910
Necro910
Celestial Companion
Celestial Companion

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 38 Left_bar_bleue9/0My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 38 Empty_bar_bleue  (9/0)

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Dice Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:20 am

Necro910 wrote:

A commercial fishing boat with a quota to make, not Bass Pro Asses or whatever. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 38 3249175268
Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post  Necro910 Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:30 am

Flying Dice wrote:
Necro910 wrote:

A commercial fishing boat with a quota to make, not Bass Pro Asses or whatever. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 38 3249175268
lolidunno
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 38 Tumblr_ljkeuyjp1a1qafrh6
Necro910
Necro910
Celestial Companion
Celestial Companion

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post  Zangi Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:37 am

Flying Dice wrote:
Spoiler:
*snip*
Spoiler:
Zangi
Zangi
Second-Class Citizen Pegasus

Pony Pals : 5621

Pony Profile
Name: Sandy
Spells:
Experience:
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 38 Left_bar_bleue1/1My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 38 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Dice Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:38 am

Spoiler:
Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post  Andal Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:48 am

Episode was fantastic.

Spoiler:
Andal
Andal

Pony Pals : 6065
Friendship Lessons : 17

Pony Profile
Name: Andal
Spells:
Experience:
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 38 Left_bar_bleue13/0My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 38 Empty_bar_bleue  (13/0)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaijyuu Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:57 am

Yeah what Andal said. If something had gone wrong, she would've jumped in to save them, like she did at the best young flier's competition.

Note that "save them" does not mean "save the hurricane," but save somepony from getting hurt.
Kaijyuu
Kaijyuu
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post  Zangi Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:01 am

Spoiler:
Zangi
Zangi

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 38 Left_bar_bleue1/1My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Page 38 Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Dice Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:25 am

Spoiler:
Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaijyuu Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:57 am

Flying Dice wrote:
Spoiler:
Best theory.
Kaijyuu
Kaijyuu
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Dice Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:04 am

Spoiler:
Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post  Silfurdreki Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:23 am

So did anyone else wonder about exactly how much one wingpower was? Even if noone else did wonder that, I made some maths crude estimations!

Large image!

I was contemplating sending it to EqD, but I wanted some input from someone else first.

I think the most shoddy assumption is the Cloudsdale altitude one, it could vary ±1000 meters, at least, which means a lot for the final result. So, what does everyone say? Does it deserve to be spread to the internet at large?
Silfurdreki
Silfurdreki
Pony
Pony

Pony Pals : 4445
Friendship Lessons : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaijyuu Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:26 am

Rainbow Dash would be able to punch out Superman.

Sounds about right.
Kaijyuu
Kaijyuu
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post  Necro910 Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:38 am

Kaijyuu wrote:Rainbow Dash would be able to punch out Superman.

Sounds about right.
Correction:

Punch through superman.
Necro910
Necro910
Celestial Companion
Celestial Companion

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post  Zangi Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:09 pm

Silfurdreki wrote:So did anyone else wonder about exactly how much one wingpower was? Even if noone else did wonder that, I made some maths crude estimations!

Large image!

I was contemplating sending it to EqD, but I wanted some input from someone else first.

I think the most shoddy assumption is the Cloudsdale altitude one, it could vary ±1000 meters, at least, which means a lot for the final result. So, what does everyone say? Does it deserve to be spread to the internet at large?
That is... interesting... try giving alternate possible altitudes of Cloudsdale. Also, I guess that may further cement them being better in the transport business.

.... Ponies must've messed Equestria up something fierce to have to control all of the weather, the seasons, prevent drought and what-not....
Zangi
Zangi

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post  Silfurdreki Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:58 pm

Zangi wrote:
That is... interesting... try giving alternate possible altitudes of Cloudsdale. Also, I guess that may further cement them being better in the transport business.

.... Ponies must've messed Equestria up something fierce to have to control all of the weather, the seasons, prevent drought and what-not....

The minimum distance to Cloudsdale I see as really feasible is 1000m, which means that one wingpower becomes 1653 horsepower instead. That's quite a bit less, but still means that a Pegasus (at 10 wingpower) is 1.6 times stronger than the strongest train locomotive on Earth.

Also, note what this means about Equestria's butterflies; Fluttershy (at 0.5, minimum), lost to a single butterfly in a tug-o-war. Yeah, Equestrian butterflies (826 horsepower) are stronger than most of our cars.

What's also interesting is that I just realised that this can be used to (again, crudely) estimate the area of Equestria, or at least the area where ponies control the weather. It is implied by the fact that this is done yearly that the water they send to Cloudsdale is the rainwater for one year. If one assumes an average rainfall of Equestria you could easily compute how large an area it would fall across. I was thinking it'd be reasonable to use the average rainfall of Canada to estimate, since that's where the animators are from. Maybe it'd be better to use the rainfall of some of the more temperate areas of Canada, though.

Anyway, I might do that later today/tonight if I get time.
Silfurdreki
Silfurdreki
Pony
Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Dice Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:43 pm

Do remember that there won't be an even distribution of rainwater; the badlands around Appleloosa will get much less rain, for example. There is also the question of whether the Everfree counts as Equestrian territory.
Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post  Necro910 Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:02 pm

Flying Dice wrote:Do remember that there won't be an even distribution of rainwater; the badlands around Appleloosa will get much less rain, for example. There is also the question of whether the Everfree counts as Equestrian territory.
For legal reasons, yes. For the purposes of this math, no.

Everfree is part of Equestrian land, but it has its own weather, mainly controlled by unstable magic.
Necro910
Necro910
Celestial Companion
Celestial Companion

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post  Silfurdreki Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Flying Dice wrote:Do remember that there won't be an even distribution of rainwater; the badlands around Appleloosa will get much less rain, for example. There is also the question of whether the Everfree counts as Equestrian territory.

That's why we're using average rainfall, real life has areas that are dryer as well. We could also use the average rainfall for the whole Earth. In any event, I suspect that Equestria's area will turn out to be tiny, since 1708 m^3 of water is only roughly two millionths of a km^3 and I seem to remember from some lecture I had that Sweden gets roughly 15-20 km^3 of rain every year.

Unless we use the average rainfall for the Atacama desert or something, which is not very reasonable at all.
Silfurdreki
Silfurdreki
Pony
Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Necro910 Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:21 pm

Since Equestria is so tiny, I wonder how the other nations fit in. Equestria's rulers control the sun, so it would seem like other nations would submit to an ACTUAL GOD.
Necro910
Necro910
Celestial Companion
Celestial Companion

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next