Ponies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My RPG (that is, video game RPG, not tabletop)

2 posters

Go down

My RPG (that is, video game RPG, not tabletop) Empty My RPG (that is, video game RPG, not tabletop)

Post  Kaijyuu Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:52 pm

screenshots:

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?31u8g1gdl9o4unk (edit: updated to 2.1)

I'm not quite ready to release this to the fandom at large, but I figured I'd show it off here. Except some close friends ya'll are the first to see it Razz

This is my project of the last 6 months or so. I built a game engine from scratch, because RPG maker and game maker and all that sucks. So far, it's pretty minimalist in terms of visuals and sound, but I've got 95% of the gameplay systems in place.

Windows only, currently. A linux release will happen eventually, probably after I get a real project going. I'll post this on ponychan/submit to ED/etc once I'm certain this is 99% bug free and presentable.

Hit me with any suggestions/complaints/etc if you decide to try it out, especially concerning the controls. Do NOT be nice if anything bugs you or seems weird. I'm not totally sold on the battle controls, especially without a gamepad in hand. It's much better with one.

I'm pretty sure I've nuked 95% of the crashes but if you manage to make it explode, reproduction steps would be awesome.

Also, open the menu (x button) and hit save to save your game. You can save anywhere. Most people don't seem to realize the menu exists so they go off and die to the hard boss and don't want to go through the entire tutorial again (I should add auto saving...).

Oh, and there's little surprise if you beat the extra boss (atma weapon, shown in the screenies). Big if, though My RPG (that is, video game RPG, not tabletop) 1603273400

Also I wasn't sure where to post this. I don't expect a "fan game" subforum as I doubt anyone else here makes games, but whatever Razz

Last edited by Kaijyuu on Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Kaijyuu
Kaijyuu
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Pals : 6175
Friendship Lessons : 7

Pony Profile
Name: Kaijyuu
Spells:
Experience:
My RPG (that is, video game RPG, not tabletop) Left_bar_bleue6/9My RPG (that is, video game RPG, not tabletop) Empty_bar_bleue  (6/9)

Back to top Go down

My RPG (that is, video game RPG, not tabletop) Empty Re: My RPG (that is, video game RPG, not tabletop)

Post  Slag Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:56 pm

I got my ass whipped on the tutorial. Managed to keep Dashie up, at least.

I think that the enemies might could use some toning down so those of us with little experience in the particular control scheme can get used to it.

Edit: Completely wiped in the first 'real' battle. Those little bastards hit a bit hard, don't they?
Slag
Slag
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Pals : 6670
Friendship Lessons : 8

Pony Profile
Name: Cherry Pop
Spells:
Experience:
My RPG (that is, video game RPG, not tabletop) Left_bar_bleue69/99My RPG (that is, video game RPG, not tabletop) Empty_bar_bleue  (69/99)

Back to top Go down

My RPG (that is, video game RPG, not tabletop) Empty Re: My RPG (that is, video game RPG, not tabletop)

Post  Kaijyuu Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:18 pm

Wow really? Haha, maybe I'll tone them down.

I really base the battle system around pressure being placed on you. So if you're not taking significant damage, you'll just spam the attack button until things fall over. That would be boring.

Perhaps I should emphasize healing spells and how they can revive people. Everyone has healing spells, and the group ones from applejack and rarity should bring you out of most sticky situations.
Kaijyuu
Kaijyuu
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:
My RPG (that is, video game RPG, not tabletop) Left_bar_bleue6/9My RPG (that is, video game RPG, not tabletop) Empty_bar_bleue  (6/9)

Back to top Go down

Post  Slag Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:52 pm

Hey, I might just be a shitty player. But still, the pressure system doesn't work that well when you're just learning the controls and are expected to operate them at haste. It's not fun spending more turns healing than attacking.
Slag
Slag
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Pals : 6670
Friendship Lessons : 8

Pony Profile
Name: Cherry Pop
Spells:
Experience:
My RPG (that is, video game RPG, not tabletop) Left_bar_bleue69/99My RPG (that is, video game RPG, not tabletop) Empty_bar_bleue  (69/99)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaijyuu Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:13 am

Hrm, yes but using healing spells gives you AP to use the stronger attacks. Ideally you'll be supporting yourself a good chunk of the time... but never enough that you can't use all your AP. Your damage output will be roughly the same because you can use the much stronger attacks, despite spending a lot of turns on support.

A back and forth, parry-riposte type gameplay is what I'm aiming for.

Still, I've noticed you heal more than enough to those early enemies and can't reasonably spend all your AP due to not having the stronger attacks yet. So you're right; I'll need to tone them down so you rarely have to heal more than once every other turn or so, otherwise you'll just be spamming attack on some characters, and spamming heal on others, never doing anything fun. Plus simplicity is needed to teach the game early on.

(see this is why honest criticism is good! Very much thanks, slag!)

I'm not toning down the extra bosses though, heh. Might make a video since I really doubt anyone will beat them unless they spend some time.

Also I'm getting more and more competition each day. An actually decent looking JRPG just showed up on ED... Everything previous has been pretty blah. MLP Online was my only real competitor and I haven't heard anything from them in months.

EDIT: PS
Hey, I might just be a shitty player.
No such thing, to a game designer. Just an inadequately taught player. Frustration is my fault.

EDITEEDIT: Implemented Slag's suggestions, along with a slight expansion of the tutorial. Some other minor stuff too; not worth redownloading if you have the old version, but if you really can't get past the parasprites, maybe it'll help Very Happy
Kaijyuu
Kaijyuu
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down