Ponies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dracopotamia - 'Create Your Own Adventure' [Staging Grounds]

3 posters

Go down

Dracopotamia - 'Create Your Own Adventure' [Staging Grounds] Empty Dracopotamia - 'Create Your Own Adventure' [Staging Grounds]

Post  Zangi Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:53 am

Here is an idea floating in my head... I've seen a few of these fancy CYOAs or whatever you call em on some other forums I've trawled and it has intrigued me. Its a start at least... and I'll try to update it every week or so.

Here is the thing though, depending on the character's background, it may become a simple adventure with or without 'quests'... kinda like adventure mode I guess... or it may end up being something like Jagged Alliance, but yea, one thing that can definitely be done is to revisit the place with new chars once the old one dies, 'retires' or gets imprisoned... Changes, if any will persist... and you may end up finding the previous character and their doings.

You don't really know jack about this place... or do you?:

So traveler, who are you?:

Last edited by Zangi on Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Zangi
Zangi
Second-Class Citizen Pegasus

Pony Pals : 5572
Friendship Lessons : 7

Pony Profile
Name: Sandy
Spells:
Experience:
Dracopotamia - 'Create Your Own Adventure' [Staging Grounds] Left_bar_bleue1/1Dracopotamia - 'Create Your Own Adventure' [Staging Grounds] Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

Back to top Go down

Dracopotamia - 'Create Your Own Adventure' [Staging Grounds] Empty Re: Dracopotamia - 'Create Your Own Adventure' [Staging Grounds]

Post  Necro910 Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:07 am

Is this one of those "You are an adventurer" things, where everyone votes on what the character does next, or is an RP where everyone has their own character?
Necro910
Necro910
Celestial Companion
Celestial Companion

Pony Pals : 10914
Friendship Lessons : 11

Pony Profile
Name: Necro
Spells:
Experience:
Dracopotamia - 'Create Your Own Adventure' [Staging Grounds] Left_bar_bleue9/0Dracopotamia - 'Create Your Own Adventure' [Staging Grounds] Empty_bar_bleue  (9/0)

Back to top Go down

Dracopotamia - 'Create Your Own Adventure' [Staging Grounds] Empty Re: Dracopotamia - 'Create Your Own Adventure' [Staging Grounds]

Post  Zangi Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:33 am

I'm gonna stick with the vote version. I don't believe I can manage multiple characters in a reliable manner... well, actually if I do it the 'Jagged Alliance'-like way, orders and such given will be from the viewpoint of the main character still. The 'mercs' will mostly be automated, but I may or may not decide to allow a temporary switch of viewpoints/control, but, I'll leave that for later.
Zangi
Zangi

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:
Dracopotamia - 'Create Your Own Adventure' [Staging Grounds] Left_bar_bleue1/1Dracopotamia - 'Create Your Own Adventure' [Staging Grounds] Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Dice Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:49 am

Sounds like one of the latter. For my part, I've always preferred the ones that have visual components and/or stray from normal settings. A good example of the latter would be the 'you are an earth-stranded alien' one that was on B12 a while back. Oh well.

Race: Pegasus
Occupation/Other: Unemployed Standup Comedian
Reason For Being Here: Adventuring
Personality/Characteristics:
-The joy of life is in punnery.
-Cloudcuckoolander.
Perks/Skills:
-Amareness (Increased awareness of enemy weaknesses and the surrounding environment)
-Colt of Personality (Others are favorable to you, regardless of your associations and/or actions)

Aptitude Points are 1-5, minimum of 1 and a max of 5. 3 is the average. 30 points to distribute (This is heavily abstracted at this point...)
Strength:3
Agility:5
Dexterity:5
Constitution:3
Wisdom:1
Combat Comedy:5
Speechcraft:5
Explosives and other assorted weapons:1
Medical Practice:1
Magitek/Steampunk mecha:1

Which Route did you take to get here?: Air
Name:Sunshine Runner (randomly genned)

A few notes: I'd have the number in an aptitude area not affect ability to attempt to use something, but rather the chances of success. In other words, a character with a 1 in explosives/general weapons who tries to toss a stick of dynamite would fumble it, dropping it down a hill into an orphanage or something like that. The comedy-central style of this character would mean that the chances of "fate" would be heavily skewed toward the funniest possible outcome of a critical failure. So if you're rolling a d20 for outcomes, a skill of '1' could mean something like anything from a 1 to 12 is a critical failure, 13-15 is a failure, 16-19 a success, and 20 a critical success (numbers entirely asspulled, do whatever you want).

I'd also like to recommend having perks become more powerful as they are used. You could probably make up some arbitrary system of assigning exp for creative interpretations and uses of them or some such.

There ye go!
Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Pony Pals : 6812
Friendship Lessons : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Zangi Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:20 pm

Let it be known, 'comedy' is not something I take pride in. But I will try... my durndest... to get her killed in a fairly comical manner.

If you really want... 'out of normal settings'.... Zebras and Buffalo would probably be your likely candidates. Zebras being 'different' from ponies, will be treated as such by the mentioned... Buffalo will be the rarest race, since they are basically tribal natives from what is likely a far away place...

And yea, I can agree with your notes. Still a work in progress as I go.

Last edited by Zangi on Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Apparently [hide] doesn't really work...)
Zangi
Zangi

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Dice Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:33 pm

I more had in mind that we would make terrible jokes and puns while making suggestions. Dracopotamia - 'Create Your Own Adventure' [Staging Grounds] 1259013773

And if you were going for an unusual story, the best protagonist would be a certain one of the Pie sisters.
Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Pony Pals : 6812
Friendship Lessons : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down