Ponies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind

+20
Andal
Johuotar
tagg
acidbomb113
Nighzmarquls
Fniff
Emberflash
Loud Whispers
Debesh
Necro910
drilltooth
Armok
MC Dirty
Dsarker
Zaerosz
Kaijyuu
Flying Dice
Sean Mirrsen
Zangi
Slag
24 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind Empty Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind

Post  Slag Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:57 pm

One thing I like to do is debate with people. Get me someone who can put up a good, logical argument and I'll have tons of fun trying to respond with the same. My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic is one of the things that I've noticed a lot of people have rather strong opinions about. I think it would be really interesting to see what other people have in mind about the background and nature of the show, as well as being able to debate about the different assumptions we make about what goes on away from what we get to see of the show.

I've got this down here because I'd imagine that some people would rather not have to read through a bunch of people bickering about this and that, and also because I'm sure someone might want to debate a topic that's a bit risque or graphic in nature, although my doubts about that run a little high.
Slag
Slag
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Pals : 6631
Friendship Lessons : 8

Pony Profile
Name: Cherry Pop
Spells:
Experience:
Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind Left_bar_bleue69/99Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind Empty_bar_bleue  (69/99)

Back to top Go down

Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind Empty Re: Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind

Post  Zangi Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:19 pm

On Pegasus wings and 'feathers'... from the new episode.
Spoiler:

EDIT: Umm hmm.. Everfree Forest.. Meh, I don't know.
Zangi
Zangi
Second-Class Citizen Pegasus

Pony Pals : 5571
Friendship Lessons : 7

Pony Profile
Name: Sandy
Spells:
Experience:
Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind Left_bar_bleue1/1Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

Back to top Go down

Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind Empty Re: Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind

Post  Slag Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:23 pm

I noticed that too. Makes my fic with Derpy that much more horrifying.

Spoiler:
Slag
Slag
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:
Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind Left_bar_bleue69/99Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind Empty_bar_bleue  (69/99)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:38 pm

Alternately, cartoon physics.
Spoiler:
It's pretty obviously slapstick-ish in that instance. We've yet to see an injury properly depicted in the show, so the choice is between "a universe mechanic" or "a medium convention", and I'm leaning towards the latter.

That's not to mention the inexplicable (bandage? Whatever the hell that thing is called) at the end.
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Pony Pals : 5156
Friendship Lessons : -7

Back to top Go down

Post  Slag Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:42 pm

That thing looked like one of the temporary casts that doctors use to secure a broken bone before a proper cast can be made.
Slag
Slag
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Dice Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:17 pm

I think the confusion was more over how it got there.
Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Pony Pals : 6811
Friendship Lessons : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaijyuu Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:20 pm

Pegasus wings are not big enough to create enough lift for a pony anyway. So yeah, wings and pony flight = pony magic. They don't necessarily need feathers.
Kaijyuu
Kaijyuu
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Pals : 6136

Pony Profile
Name: Kaijyuu
Spells:
Experience:
Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind Left_bar_bleue6/9Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind Empty_bar_bleue  (6/9)

Back to top Go down

Post  Slag Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:21 pm

The cast pretty much just gives the turtle a reason to be carrying Dash, since she obviously can't fly. What injury she sustained, and where she got the cast from, well, maybe she had some medkits set up along the gorge for when she was too busy being cocky to pay any attention.
Slag
Slag
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaijyuu Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:25 pm

Turtle hides things in his shell. He pulled out some sunglasses earlier in the episode. Maybe he brought a medkit.
Kaijyuu
Kaijyuu
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Pals : 6136

Pony Profile
Name: Kaijyuu
Spells:
Experience:
Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind Left_bar_bleue6/9Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind Empty_bar_bleue  (6/9)

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Dice Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:34 pm

"Hey tortoise, how'd you hide a medkit in your shell?"

Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind 4c848515-56d1-429a-99ea-c7a7030844db
Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:10 pm

Would it hurt the animators so much to just show RD with a damaged/limp wing? They could have Rarity or even Pinkie then procure the inexplicable bandages and apply them. Would break suspension of disbelief much less.
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Dice Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:15 pm

Well obviously 6 year old girls are too stupid to tell that a wing hanging at a funny angle is injured. Rolling Eyes
Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:43 pm

Heh, maybe.

Anyhow, it seems pegasi are still ridiculously resilient. RD was hit by a falling boulder about four times her size, fell to the ground along with the same boulder, and was on her hooves and trying to fly almost before the dust had settled.
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Dice Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:52 pm

It could have been sheer adrenaline. Notice how once the dust settles and she realizes what happened, she slows down and starts freaking out.
Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaerosz Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:54 pm

Yeah, but she's only freaking out at the prospect of losing the race and being trapped in the valley forever. She doesn't even appear to register that her wing could be damaged, and doesn't seem to be in any pain.
Zaerosz
Zaerosz
Oppressed Proletarian Earth Pony
Oppressed Proletarian Earth Pony

Pony Pals : 4793
Friendship Lessons : 0

Pony Profile
Name:
Spells:
Experience:
Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind Left_bar_bleue10/10Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind Empty_bar_bleue  (10/10)

Back to top Go down

Post  Zangi Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:01 am

Meh, we can say that ponies are more damage resistant then 'normal'. Also, its Rainbow Dash, her skin is made of something else, cause she can make Sonic Rainbooms and Rainnukes... going that fast is probably painful if not skinflaying... for anything 'normal'.

Also, pony priorities can be laughable at times...
Zangi
Zangi

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:
Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind Left_bar_bleue1/1Free and Open Debates on the Nature of Ponykind Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Dice Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:02 am

To be perfectly honest, that should probably be chalked up to "this is still nominally a children's show, and the sort of agony that would go along with having a limb/secondary sexual characteristic crushed under a boulder wouldn't be appropriate for the target audience". Neutral
Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:11 am

Well, at least that much could still be adrenaline. Considering she did have the wing bandaged up, it's presumed it was indeed damaged enough to be temporarily unusable. With adrenaline, she feels no pain initially while she's still trying to break free, and by the time she gets to the finish line it would have subsided enough to allow RD to brush the injury off as "only my pride".

And yeah, little girls' show. But modern children are stronger, they should be able to handle a screenful of blood'n'guts every once in a while.

Also, isn't the question "are you hurt?" a little... "extraneous", when asked of a pegasus that resorts to riding in on a tortoise while having one of her wings bound up with bandages?
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Dice Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:15 am

That could be more along the lines of "Oh no, did you break something? Or are you just a bit bruised up?". To me, at least.
Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:23 am

The few times I heard the phrase "only my pride" used in similar situations, it was usually in the sense of "yeah, I'm hurt, but I won't let it cramp my style". Considering this is Rainbow Dash we're talking about, she wouldn't let anything short of a compound fracture cramp her style. So, anything less than that is still a fair guess. Besides, if she were only bruised, she'd still fly in, per the same reasoning. The mere fact that she allows herself to be carried and has the wing bound to her side is already an indication of a non-insignificant injury.
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Dice Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:52 am

Or maybe she was doing it to give Tank a boost to his self-esteem to make up for being such a bitch to him earlier. Laughing
Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post  Slag Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:04 am

Could be both. Even with her wing bandaged, she could have easily walked on her own.
Slag
Slag
Delusional Alicorn
Delusional Alicorn

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post  Zangi Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:30 am

Pain is pretty tiring... but, when you consider that she was caught under an avalanche... and account for adrenaline and the "I care more about the race then what possible injuries I took.."

There is also the fact that Rainbow Dash is pretty impatient... riding the slow moving turtle could also be a benefit for her since she'd be pacing circles around the turtle all the way...
Zangi
Zangi

Pony Profile
Spells:
Experience:

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Dice Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:36 am

Continued from the music thread:

I sort of get the sense that tanks, guns, etc. aren't exactly new to the ponies, though, given how readily they use the terms, as if they were already established parts of the language. This suggests that Equestria has had, at the very least, WWI-equivalent magitek or technology, for a substantial period of time. Also remember that the mane six are young adults (I personally peg them as 19-21, or the pony equivalent), which suggests that these weapons are at least 2-3 decades old, likely more, if they've been present long enough to become established in the language.

This in turn raises the question: if there are all these guns, tanks, etc. floating around, why don't we see them? Why are there no soldiers apart from the royal guards, who are fairly obviously ceremonial guards.
("Hey guys, immortal evil goddess kidnapped our ruler, what should we do?"
"FLY DIRECTLY AT HER!")

So, if these things exist, and have existed long enough to impact the language to that degree, they have to be somewhere, but where? The most likely place is the borders, actively occupying and invading surrounding lands to prevent them from becoming threats. Still, I'm working on the assumption of benevolent Celestia, who would never allow her own subjects to come to harm. So who are the soliders? I'd guess mercenaries, either griffons, or from some other pony-centric state. This allows Celestia to protect her subjects effectively, to such a degree that they never realize that danger even exists on a level beyond scary monsters in forbidden areas and accidents.
Flying Dice
Flying Dice
Badmin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Mirrsen Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:32 am

Different idea - tanks and firearms aren't unknown to Equestria per se, but they are not used within the realm on account of, you know, magic. The words are established in the language because the weapons have seen use sometime in history, but perhaps they were used against Equestria rather than by Equestria. Certain nonmagical races or more technologically inclined nations (remember, Equestria is an analogue for USA in the show) could have fought wars of their own, even with tanks and aircraft and whatnot. Russmare could have fought a savage war against the Pferdesrepublik at some point, fighting a losing battle until the decisive victory in the ravaged city of Stalliongrad, turning the tables on the enemy and chasing them back with their new T-34 tanks and Fillyushin FIL-2 Sturmovik strike aircraft. Equestria could have watched the fight from the sidelines until one of Pferdesrepublik's allies attacked a coastal city of Pearl Harbor, which forced them to retaliate with the "burning wrath of a thousand suns", thus ending the war for good.
Sean Mirrsen
Sean Mirrsen
Magical Overlord Unicorn
Magical Overlord Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next